Friday, 5 December 2014

Make way for Mareda

With Spray nestled down for winter and Mareda’s preparation demanding more of our attention, we need to prepare the blog to host a new boat.  We've chosen a responsive blog template (I think?), which should optimize viewing depending on whether you are using a smartphone or computer, and we've added a few new widgets to highlight content.  There are still some kinks to work out with the new template, but we’ll figure it out eventually.

Coming soon !

I have resisted for a very long time, but am now convinced that we need a Facebook page for the blog. I worry about the time and effort required to manage it appropriately, but it’s just so much easier to interact with readers via FB than with the blog comments feature.  As new pseudo live-aboards (6 months / year) with a new swing keel boat to master, we hope to draw on the expertise of others out there so we’ll need to build up an interactive community.

But of course we can’t keep calling the blog The Spray Logs, now, can we?  I like the idea of having a neutral blog name, one that doesn't use the name of the boat, but in the end we decided that simple is best.  The new blog will be called simply Sailing Mareda. 


As soon as I get up the courage, I will change the URL of the blog to keep our existing content, then make a new one-page Spray Logs page to redirect people to the new address.  Hang onto your hats !

4 comments:

The Cynical Sailor said...

Oh no - you've gone to the dark side with a FB page :-)

I resisted anything to do with FB for years and years, but finally gave in not too long ago.

Will find you on FB and "like" your page. Looking forward to seeing the new blog layout. Love the name!

Cheers - Ellen

MH said...

Thanks Ellen - I thought of you when we made the FB decision. I remember your post about the Dark Side !

The Cynical Sailor said...

I tried searching for Sailing Mareda on FB and couldn't find your page. Can you let me know if I have that right. If not, what the link is? Cheers - Ellen

MH said...

Hi Ellen,
We just made the new FB page. You can find us at: www.facebook.com/sailingmareda