Tuesday, 6 January 2015

New Year's Travel Inspiration

Like most sailors, I’m an avid reader.  Like most avid-reading sailors, I collect travel-related quotes.  Here are a few of my favorites to kindle dreams in the middle of a dreary winter.



Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you traveled.
The Prophet Mohammed

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rumi

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.
St. Augustine

He who does not travel does not know the value of men.
Moorish proverb

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.
Mark Twain

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends.
Maya Angelou

One of the great things about travel is that you find out how many good, kind people there are.
Edith Wharton

The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in seeing with new eyes, or the eyes of another.
Marcel Proust

Travel makes one modest; you see what a tiny place you occupy in the world.
Gustave Flaubert

Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Half the fun of the travel is the aesthetic of lostness.
Ray Bradbury

A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it.
John Steinbeck

Voyage, travel, and change of place impart vigour.
Seneca

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.
Robert Louis Stevenson

For the born traveller, travelling is a besetting vice. Like other vices, it is imperious, demanding its victim's time, money, energy and the sacrifice of comfort.
Aldous Huxley

To move, to breathe, to fly, to float,
To gain all while you give,
To roam the roads of lands remote,
To travel is to live.
Hans-Christian Andersen

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than those you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbour. Catch the wind in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

I know of a cure for everything: salt water. In one way or the other. Sweat, or tears, or the salt sea.
Isak Dinesen

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labours hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
Henry David Thoreau

A traveler without observation is a bird without wings.
Moslih Eddin Saadi

To awaken quite alone in a strange town is one of the pleasantest sensations in the world. You are surrounded by adventure. You have no idea of what is in store for you, but you will, if you are wise and know the art of travel, let yourself go on the stream of the unknown and accept whatever comes in the spirit in which the gods may offer it.
Freya Stark

The cure for boredom is curiosity.  There is no cure for curiosity.
Dorothy Parker

Beware the bareness of a busy life.
Socrates


My heart is warm with the friends I make,
And better friends I'll not be knowing,
Yet there isn't a train I wouldn't take,
No matter where it's going.
Edna St. Vincent Millay


* * *


Now it’s your turn:  any favourites that I should add to my collection?  And have a happy and healthy 2015!

2 comments:

Astrolabe Sailing said...

Love these quotes!

Here is my absolute favourite - it is pretty long, and I have just bought the book, but I think you might like it too:

The Invitation by Oriah
It doesn’t interest me
what you do for a living.
I want to know
what you ache for
and if you dare to dream
of meeting your heart’s longing.

It doesn’t interest me
how old you are.
I want to know
if you will risk
looking like a fool
for love
for your dream
for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn’t interest me
what planets are
squaring your moon...
I want to know
if you have touched
the centre of your own sorrow
if you have been opened
by life’s betrayals
or have become shrivelled and closed
from fear of further pain.
I want to know
if you can sit with pain
mine or your own
without moving to hide it
or fade it
or fix it.
I want to know
if you can be with joy
mine or your own
if you can dance with wildness
and let the ecstasy fill you
to the tips of your fingers and toes
without cautioning us
to be careful
to be realistic
to remember the limitations
of being human.
It doesn’t interest me
if the story you are telling me
is true.
I want to know if you can
disappoint another
to be true to yourself.
If you can bear
the accusation of betrayal
and not betray your own soul.
If you can be faithless
and therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see Beauty
even when it is not pretty
every day.
And if you can source your own life
from its presence.
I want to know
if you can live with failure
yours and mine
and still stand at the edge of the lake
and shout to the silver of the full moon,
“Yes.”
It doesn’t interest me
to know where you live
or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up
after the night of grief and despair
weary and bruised to the bone
and do what needs to be done
to feed the children.
It doesn’t interest me
who you know
or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand
in the centre of the fire
with me
and not shrink back.
It doesn’t interest me
where or what or with whom
you have studied.
I want to know
what sustains you
from the inside
when all else falls away.
I want to know
if you can be alone
with yourself
and if you truly like
the company you keep
in the empty moments.

MH said...

Absolutely beautiful ! My new favorite.