While the
rest of France is under a heat wave, the north coast of Brittany seems to hover
around 20 degrees and we haven’t had more than 3 consecutive days without rain. Last week, the early morning temperature in
the boat was 11 degrees C (that’s 52 F if you’re playing along in
Fahrenheit). I don’t care what anyone
says, we put the heat on the next night.
![]() |
| Gales every 48 hours (note the high-wind warning: little sailboat being pushed over...) |
The
barometer says it all: 1004 hPa to 1020
hPa and back to 1004 hPa in 48 hours.
This is a gale coming through.
This hump is a permanent feature of the barometer since we get a gale every
3-4 days. I have learned how to turn off
the volume of the “high wind” alarm (charmingly visualized as a little sailboat
being pushed over by wind). Before I
learned that little trick, I was up FIVE times during the night to acknowledge
and shut down its wailing.
I also
think I’ve become a bit jaded about sailing in places we’ve already
visited. There are some beautiful sights
sailing around Brittany and the Islands but the fact that I’ve photographed the
same cathedral / harbour / village / coastline only 2 years ago leaves me
wondering what I could possibly say that would convey the enthusiasm it
deserves and that I no longer feel.
![]() |
| Fort La Latte, a beautiful new anchorage for us. |
We’ve also
been thrashed about in a couple of near gales but we weren’t psychologically
marked by them the way we were in the past and so I didn’t feel inspired to
write about the events. Perhaps it’s
because we have a heavier, more stable boat that’s much higher in the water
than Spray was, or maybe we’re just
getting used to this kind of abuse.
![]() |
| Balanced rock at the entrance of Tregastel, also a new mooring for us. |
![]() |
| A beautiful anchorage in Tregastel in the middle of a jumble of rocks. |
![]() |
| Tregastel Plage |
Yesterday,
we had 25 knots on the nose with apparent winds over 30 and choppy seas heading
into the river port of Morlaix. We
sailed close-hauled with 2 reefs and the genoa rolled in halfway (e.g., not
enough, in my opinion) until we got to the mouth of the river and had to wind
our way through a very narrow channel.
The boat was absolutely caked in salt when we pulled in. A few days earlier,
we had 3-4 meter swells with 20-25 knots of wind in the nose just north of
Brehat island that prevented us from making the headway we had planned. The delays led to a 2 knot current pushing us
backwards so that we could only make about 2 knots of headway even with the
motor helping, and we had to reroute to a river port (Treguier) that was close
by. That was 8 hours of sailing for only
20 miles of route. I can WALK faster
than that.
But the
biggest blue spot of the summer has been health problems. Patrick developed a little bump on his calf
that grew rapidly and looked nasty. He
took advantage of a crew member with a car to go back home for a few days
(mostly to pick up lots of things we forgot) and made an appointment with our
family doctor. The doctor sent him
immediately to the dermatologist, who sent him immediately to a clinic to
schedule surgery. He had a carcinoma the
size of a chick pea that was growing rapidly.
It’s not a melanoma or anything that spreads, but it needed to be cut
out quickly while it was still just on the surface and not yet in the muscle. A nice two-inch incision and 7 stitches
later, we’re glad we didn’t wait any longer.
The day
after this discovery, my 100 ½ year old grandmother passed away. This was no real surprise and it was, in
fact, a relief. I called her on her 95th
birthday and told her how proud I was that she was still doing so well at her
age. She said, “Oh no, I’m not doing well at all !”
Alarmed, I asked her what was wrong.
“Well,” she said, “I don’t rightly know. I just ain’t got no pep.” At 98, with her joyful laugh and good humour,
she said to me, “I don’t know why I can’t
just die like other people.” She had
outlived everyone she ever knew. Last
year, she buried two sons. That was too much for her to handle and she went
downhill very quickly after that.
And since bad news always
comes in 3s, my mother had some frightening blood pressure and cardiac
complications after her knee-replacement surgery last week. With modern technology like skype and mobile
phones, time and distance never seem that big until a loved one is sick. No amount of skyping can relieve the ache of
being so far away and feeling so helpless and useless. Patrick and I rerouted to a port where I
could get a bus / train / plane to get home quickly if needed, but fortunately things
stabilized. Still, I would like to be with
my family and the cool grey Breton drizzle makes me wonder what the hell I’m
doing here.





4 comments:
Sorry to hear about your grandmother but glad that Patrick's leg was ok and that your Mum has come right.
It is right what they say about having everything in the world, but your health is most important. I got really sick last week too and that resonates more with me now following that episode.
Look after yourself and hope you feel happier soon!
Viki
Thanks so much Viki. The theme of this year's cruise so far has been how to deal with health issues at sea. No fun, but a necessary education I suppose. All has now returned to normal and the winds (currently HOWLING at 36 knots) are supposed to calm down starting tomorrow.
Keep up the positive spirit ... I fully understand that you want to be close to you family in those times. But ask yourself the following question: Would your mom want you to be with her or rather with Patric and the ocean ... the answer to this question might guide you decision ....
Thanks Martin. I told my Mom I was prepared to come home and she said "No No NO !" so I guess that means no. She's doing much better and turns out that it wasn't a serious problem after all. Watching loved ones suffer from afar is a bit like sitting in port with questionable weather asking yourself "stay or go?". Anyway, it all worked out this time, but I still think I'm going to try to get back home more often.
Post a Comment