We’ve just
returned from one week of skiing, where I’ve discovered that I am in “ship
shape”, which is to say, poor shape for active sports.
Our past 5 months on the boat have been
active, but clearly not enough to maintain our pre-cruising life physical
condition. Patrick and I are both former
marathoners, and I still run the equivalent of a marathon per week…when I’m not
on the boat. This last week of skiing
made me realize that I’ve lost a lot of conditioning this year as the result of
our time at sea, and something must be done.
This
revelation may provoke a “well, duh”
response from many, who rightly reason that sitting on a boat can’t maintain
your physique in the same way that running does. The problem is that after a long day of
sailing, you genuinely feel tired. You
move and fidget all day long, adjusting sails, winching in sheets, and running stairs
as you make the round-trip from the cockpit to the chart table countless times. Exposure to sun and wind also contributes to
a feeling of tiredness. When we are in
port, Patrick and I almost always pull out the bikes and explore the area,
cycling between 15 – 30 kilometers (~10 – 20 miles) each outing, and on folding
bikes, that’s pretty good exercise. But
clearly it’s not enough of the right kind.
There are
numerous articles and work-out plans for staying fit at sea (see The Monkey’s Fist topic for some great articles). My strategy will be a simple one: take my running shoes cruising with me…and
then, of course, use them.

0 comments:
Post a Comment